Today we're busting some of the myths behind soap and sharing all of the amazing benefits that natural soap has for your skin. If you're still on the shelf about making the switch to natural soap, read on to find out why natural soap is better for your skin and the environment.
Myth: soap is drying on the skin
Err, nope! This is one of the biggest myths surrounding soap and we get why you would think that. Commercial soap (the soap bars you find at the supermarket) is a cocktail of chemical ingredients which are made to form a bar of synthetic detergents that have no benefits for the skin whatsoever. That's why we understand why you would think that soap is drying on the skin - but you really can't compare commercial soap or shower gels with natural soap bars - they are two entirely different products. It's a bit like comparing a blackbird with a kestrel - they both fly so they must be the same, right?
Another reason why commercial soap is drying is that it doesn't contain any natural glycerin which is produced naturally when making cold process soap. Instead, large soap manufacturers extract glycerin from their soap to use in other products such as lotions and shampoos. It's the perfect money-making opportunity for these companies who are solely focused on putting their profits before the health of your skin and the environment. The lack of glycerin is also one of the reasons why you automatically reach for the moisturiser after using commercial soap or shower gel.
All these harsh detergents are not only drying on the skin, but they can also adversely affect skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis by increasing the dryness and itching that comes with these conditions.
Natural handmade soap companies make soap using quality ingredients. Handmade soap is packed full of naturally occurring glycerin - in fact, did you know that our shea butter collection of natural soap bars contains more than 8% glycerin in the final product? Glycerin is an amazing natural ingredient that works to hydrate the skin and lock moisture in.
Proper ingredients that are also natural
Our natural bar soap is made with high-quality ingredients that are super moisturising on the skin. We use olive oil, sweet almond oil, shea butter, coconut oil, rice bran oil, and castor oil as the main ingredients in our natural soap bars. That's why our luxury handmade soap bars won't dry out your skin, unlike commercial soap bars. These luxurious oils magically produce a thick and creamy lather that not only cleanses, but keeps skin hydrated, soft, and silky too. Your skin will love you for it!
Use natural soap for dry skin conditions
We have many customers who have sensitive or very dry skin conditions, and we often get asked if our natural soap is safe to use on eczema and psoriasis. Of course, we're not medical experts so we ask you to look at our reviews from other customers who have sensitive skin to see how our natural soap has helped them. From our own experience, members of our family who suffer from eczema and psoriasis have ditched detergent-filled bottles of shower gels and commercial soap bars for our natural soap bars and have seen an incredible difference in the health of their skin. Of course, if you're nervous about trying something new on your skin, we totally get that too - that's why we offer smaller size bars so you can give us a try before you make a bigger purchase. We're confident that your skin will love our natural soap bars.
Is natural soap better for skin?
Oh yes! If you haven't made the switch yet to handmade natural soap then you really don't know what you're missing out on. Here are 10 reasons why you should make the switch to natural soap:
- It's made with natural ingredients
- It's loaded with glycerin, a natural humectant
- It doesn't contain any artificial ingredients, synthetic colourants, artificial fragrances, detergents, or preservatives
- It won't strip your skin of its natural oils
- Our natural soap is 'superfatted' which means that a portion of the oils hasn't turned into soap which makes the soap even more moisturising!
- Natural soap helps to maintain healthy skin
- It's economical - you might look at paying £8 for a bar of our soap and think to yourself why is handmade soap so expensive? Well, unlike commercial soap our soap is made with quality natural ingredients - no cheap, harsh detergents. Do you use a shower gel? As well as containing harsh detergents, shower gel is made up of mostly water so remember that you are paying for that water! Although natural soap is made with a small amount of water too, the curing process (when the water evaporates from the soap) takes 6 weeks so very little water remains in the final product - so you get what you've actually paid for. You also won't be reaching for the moisturising lotion after using a natural soap bar so this will save you money too!
- Our natural soap bars are made with essential oils which are not only known for their scent, but for their aromatherapy benefits for the mind and body too
- Ou natural soap bars naturally create a rich and silky lather unlike commercial soap bars which use chemical surfactants to produce a lather
- Our natural soap is not tested on animals - we wouldn't have it any other way.
Natural soap is better for the environment
So now that you know what ingredients are lurking in commercial soap bars and shower gels, have you ever thought about what happens to those ingredients once they get washed down the plughole? The detergents and synthetic ingredients in commercially produced skincare products don't break down and therefore contaminate our planet. And with millions of people washing every day, that's an awful lot of chemical pollutants endangering our wildlife and ecosystem - would you have even given that a second thought? This is one of the reasons why we're so passionate about encouraging people to make the switch to handmade natural soap.
Buy eco-friendly soap from a natural soap company
Our natural soap bars don't arrive packaged in plastic wrap - instead, we've sourced just about the most eco-friendly packaging you can buy - wildflower seed paper labels! In addition, we only ever use eco friendly packaging materials and go out of our way to source sustainable packaging made from recycled materials that are biodegradable or can be composted.
We pride ourselves on using natural ingredients to produce our luxury handmade soap bars, so why not make the switch today? Your skin and our planet will thank you for it.